Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 07:18:25 -0400

Hi Artur,

I like the effort you are putting into this to make the isearch bindings more discoverable.

As few others suggested, I would also find that to be distracting. So I wouldn't want to enable it by default.

But then I also wouldn't disable it by default forever. It would be useful to see that hint window once in a while. That sort of fits with the use of hydra that Oleh suggested. (I yet have to try out the isearch patches you posted, Drew's help patch and the hydra that Oleh posted.)

That way the help pops up only when the user wants to, while in isearch. And once used, the popup disappears. It will not show up again until the user activates that help popup next time.

Another idea would be to do what guide-key and which-key packages do... The help pops up only if the isearch input is idle for 2 seconds *only when the input minibuffer is empty*. Once the user starts typing, that popup goes away. That way the help popup will not distract while the user is typing the search terms, cycling through the search results, etc. It will only show up when the user has started isearch but hasn't typed anything in it for 2 seconds, or if they typed something, then erased everything, then again waiting for 2 seconds. Of course this 2 second auto help popup should be able to be disabled. They should also be a key bound that also activates that help popup manually. In that case too, the popup should disappear once isearch activity is detected.