Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 16:54:59 +0200

On 10/28/2015 01:39 PM, Eric Ludlam wrote:

Did you enable semantic-mode?  The buffer would need to be parsed for
the data to be available, and for the prompt to have completion.

Yes, that was the problem, thanks. It works, and looks kinda nice.

This is a good point.  I always have thought about language independence
and extensibility, but most folks are just trying to solve a problem and
may not be interested in extending to anything else.

One way to encourage wider applicability is to offer smaller, maybe less-functional, but more generic APIs.

I've built many little tools over the years, but perhaps they are
observed as parts of CEDET core, and not as examples.  The semantic-ia
functions were supposed to be examples for how to use the
infrastructure, but users have ended up using them as their interface
and they became more complex.

Maybe it would be better if they were more polished and fully-functional, instead.