Re: Another others for maintainer?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Another others for maintainer?
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 12:29:25 -0700

> I volunteer to continue being Org-mode's maintainer, definitely with more
> time next year. (I've been relying on the Org-mode team for most of 2015,
> which worked okay, but the project needs to move forward.)

Fantastic!

> I also volunteer to try sorting out more mundane issues from the bug
> tracking system. As Eli pointed out, there is a lot already done in this
> area, but a lot left to be done too. I personally enjoy the thrill of doing
> trivial tasks like fixing typos, closing dead bugs, etc. So you can count on
> me for this!

This is amazing, Bastien; we could really use some good "bug shepherds". The
most often cited reason for disappointment with Emacs development I hear is
that bugs and patches "die on the vine", for want of time on the maintainer's
part to attend to them all.

So what I'd love to see happen first is to go through the bug tracker and find
every issue with a waiting patch. Confirm with the submitter that they believe
their patch is in final ready status, and that it works with current Git HEAD.
Then let's start moving these patches in and closing their associated bugs.

Let's harvest our low-hanging fruit!

John