Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5e43955 1/2: Don't declare vc-exec-after anymor

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5e43955 1/2: Don't declare vc-exec-after anymore
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 16:38:57 +0300

On 10/23/2015 10:29 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I think bug#21724 supplies an answer: eval-when-compile makes this
function known _at_compile_time_, but the warning says it might not be
known _at_run_time_.

IOW, for a macro it is enough to use eval-when-compile, but if that
macro calls a function, the function should be either auto-loaded, or
the package that defines that function should be require'd.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you. Even thought it's counter-intuitive, because that means we not only have to care about the functions we call, we must also know, in this kind of situations, what macros expand to.

But the fact that using (autoload foo "pkg") fixes it if pkg loads vc-dispatcher, muddies the problem. For me, it makes compilation succeed without warnings not only in vc-svn, but in vc-hg and vc-cvs as well.

Unless anyone has a better suggestion (Stefan?), guess I'll just revert the commit.