Re: (ELPA website design) Re: Emacs logo proposal

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: (ELPA website design) Re: Emacs logo proposal
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 08:45:07 +0600

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 11:50 PM, Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> wrote:

> I just put a first draft of my work on the GNU ELPA online at
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/elpa/

I’d like to voice my concern with this fragment of CSS:

=== layout.css#line=97,102
.container {
  padding: 80px;
  width: 960px;
  margin: 0 auto;
}
===

This causes the width of the page to be at least 80+960+80 = 1020
pixels, leading to horizontal scrolling on narrower displays.

An important case of a narrow display occurs when two windows are
tiled side-by-side on a typical 24″ 1920×1080 or 1920×1200 desktop
monitor. (This size and resolution is when it becomes really
inconvenient to keep the browser maximized to the whole screen, as
lines become too wide to read.)

Consider also mobile users, whose typical screen width is likely to be
just about 2.5″, or 240 CSS pixels if taken at face value.