Re: Another others for maintainer?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Another others for maintainer?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:27:30 +0200

"John Wiegley" <address@hidden> writes:

> Since the earlier thread on "New maintainer" turned into a massive
> discussion, it may have stifled the opportunity for others to
> volunteer as the new Emacs maintainer.
>
> My own qualifications are by no means ideal. First and foremost, there
> is a potential for friction with the FSF; and second, I may not have
> the time to give this position the attention it deserves.
>
> So if anyone else would like to drive Emacs forward into the future,
> please speak up! We need more diverse options if we are to make a good
> choice.

Like with our views about how multiple maintainers can arrive at a
single decision, it appears to me like the thrust of this discussion was
not as much "making a good choice" but "converging to a good choice":
the choices after the discussion are different because the people after
the discussion are different.

To me this was mostly about "can we make ends meet?" and I tried putting
the spotlight on those ends so that we deal with this realistically and
don't set up ourselves for obvious failure.  And the answer appears to
me "it's definitely worth trying".  Not more, not less.  I see enough
willingness on all sides to make this work that I don't see much of a
point in not trying it.

Of course, I cannot speak for anyone but myself here.

--
David Kastrup