Re: In support of guile-emacs

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: In support of guile-emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 21:49:05 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10/19/2015 09:50 PM, Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:
>
>> I don't know what good benchmarks might be that are both realistic
>> and show the benefits of Guile's added optimization passes and such.
>
> I could suggest a couple real benchmarks (time to parse jquery.js with
> js2-mode, or decode, or encode a large JSON document with json.el),
> but all these operate with strings a lot. IIUC, that's still a WIP
> area, so the results might not highlight Guile's benefits
> appropriately.

Well, GuileEmacs isn't ready for benchmarks at all yet.  I rather had
Emacs-Elisp vs. Guile-Scheme benchmarks in mind, but sure, Emacs-Elisp
vs. Guile-Elisp is the real question.

Maybe it's best to wait a bit longer so we can do really real benchmarks
on js2-mode, ansi-term, IDO, and what have you.  (IDO on directories
with very many files is one of the few real-life cases of Elisp slowness
I hit.)

Taylan