Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 12:13:13 -0700

Daniel Colascione wrote:
Consider my recent change to add finalizers to elisp. I saw a need for
the feature and just implemented it directly in Emacs. What would the
equivalent be in a guilemacs world? I'd have had to make the change
upstream in guile (where I suspect the process is much more involved),
wait for a stable release of guile, added Emacs support, and then still
not have been able to rely on the feature until Emacs dropped support
for the last version of Guile to lack the feature.

This is a reasonable objection. Perhaps we could overcome it the same way we overcome a similar problem with Emacs and Gnulib. When you need to make a change involving Gnulib code in Emacs (say, to the file lib/time.in.h), there isn't a problem: you can just change lib/time.in.h in the Savannah git master for Emacs. At some point a gnome comes along, notices that the Emacs copy of lib/time.in.h disagrees with the Gnulib copy, and merges the two.

We could do the same for Guile. That is, the Emacs savannah git could contain a copy of the relevant Guile sources (presumably only a subset of the Guile source code would be needed, just as only a small subset of Gnulib is needed). There would be an established procedure to merge the two when they become out of sync; for Gnulib, this is partly automated by Emacs's admin/merge-gnulib script.

For Gnulib I'm the gnome. For this process to work well with Guile, we'd need a gnome or two for Guile.