Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 19:19:12 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer)
> Cc: address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès),  Eli Zaretskii
>  <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 14:54:59 +0200
>
> Guile's string library is for working with strings (surprise!), not
> arbitrary byte vectors.
>
> For arbitrary byte vectors, Guile has bytevectors (surprise!!).

One of the major lessons Emacs development learned since Emacs 20.1 is
that raw bytes happen as part of text (a.k.a. "strings"), and
therefore there's a need to support a mixture of these two in the same
buffer/string.  I think that's something Guile should support as well,
as that will make it a more powerful and flexible extension language,
able to deal with a wider range of real-life situations.