Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 19:08:05 +0200

address@hidden (Taylan Ulrich "Bayırlı/Kammer") writes:

> I really don't think rewriting *all* of Emacs's C code in another
> language is a realistic goal at all.  So unrealistic that I couldn't
> believe this gigantic thread is still discussing that. :-)
>
> Rewriting select parts of it in Elisp and/or Scheme seems much more
> realistic.  AFAIUI, GuileEmacs already does that with Scheme to some
> degree, since the Guile compiler is written in Scheme.

The Elisp byte compiler is written in Elisp if I'm not mistaken.  So
that's not really in itself a difference.

The GUILE compiler is layered into separate stages, however, so each
particular stage is more amenable to understanding, changing and
adapting to other circumstances.

Even if pretty much all of it essentially appears to be a one-man job
without communicating with anybody else.

--
David Kastrup