Re: [ELPA] New package: beacon

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: beacon
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 14:54:35 +0100

On 16 Oct 2015 2:11 pm, "Phillip Lord" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

> >> I haven't read either of the source codes, but is it similar to lisp/cedet/pulse.el?
> >
> > Hm, I don't know. I'll look into what that does. Maybe it could have
> > saved me some implementation effort. :)
>

> I used pulse.el when I wrote eval-pulse.el and it's quite nice for the
> purpose.
>
> But then I discovered eval-sexp-fu and realised that I've wasted my time
> writing eval-pulse.
>
> Having some commonality for these visual distratctions kind of mode
> would be good -- it should allow configuration once.

Yeah, I had a look at pulse and there's definitely some common ground. Beacon is really a user package, while pulse is more of a dependency lib.

I want to merge some of beacon's internals into pulse, so that beacon could just a small extension on top of pulse, but that's not trivial. Their internal logic is quite different, both in structure and in final outcome (pulse fades a single color overlay by changing a font's background, while beacon shrinks a multi-colour highlight by moving/deleting many overlays).