Re: Licensing of NEWS files?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Licensing of NEWS files?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:05:53 -0700

On 10/15/2015 08:58 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
What actually annoyed me is that the various NEWS files are all also
marked (c) 2015 in spite of not being really a part of the current
Emacs.

This is according to US copyright law. A work that consists of many parts can have its copyright notice reproduced on each part, even the parts that don't change from one version to the next.

In the old days we kept track of each file's copyright years separately, and recorded exactly which years that file changed. Copyright law allows this older practice too, but it was more of a hassle and we went with a simpler approach. I would not like to go back.

Granted, that did not annoy me as much for licensing reasons as
it did for making it unable to get a rough estimate when the various
major versions of Emacs had been released.

Yes, I've also run afoul of that. I attempted to help out by installing the attached patch. Some of this is from my vague recollections, some from random places on the Internet, and quite possibly I've made transcription errors; corrections and improvements are welcome.