Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 22:43:44 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 21:21:46 +0200
>
> a Lispy language, easy to learn by those who already know Elisp, but
> which can be translated all the way to something as performant as
> the current C code, while being capable of interacting with it.

I don't think this is possible.  Some slowdown will be inevitable.

Also, if indeed the intent is to rewrite most of Emacs in this "lispy"
language, you'd need some non-Lisp (or at least non-subset) features,
like complex data structures whose members are directly accessible.
Otherwise, the translation will not be straightforward, and you get
bugs (and most probably more slowdown).