Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 00:37:49 +0200

On 2015-10-12, at 00:14, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

>> That is, it might be a good idea to move some parts of Emacs core (which are
>> not system-dependent or performance-critical, e.g., parts of interactive
>> behavior like `self-insert-command' might fit here) from C to Elisp.
>
> If you can identify functions whose efficiency and behavior are not affected
> by moving them to Elisp, that would be a great idea.

Hi John,

I'm not sure whether you were ironic or not, but assuming you were not,
here's my answer: no, I cannot /identify/ them, but sometimes I can
/suspect/ them.  More seasoned developers should make the decision,
though.

Sometimes I look up some function or command, and I'm surprised it's
defined in C and not Elisp.  I could start making notes about those
situations.

As I said, `self-insert-command' seems a natural candidate.  It is
probably almost never called from Elisp code, and I would guess it's
similar for C code.  (One exception might be keyboard macros - if yes,
this might be a performance bottleneck.)

And btw: is there a way to search for functions according to the
filename they are defined in, possibly using a regex, so that one could
search e.g. for functions defined in C by specifying "\.c$"?
(Drew?  Icicles?)

> John

Best,

--