Re: Intermediate tutorial shipped with Emacs

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Intermediate tutorial shipped with Emacs
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 01:10:20 +0300

On 18/09/2015 22:19 -0400, Spencer Baugh wrote:

> I think it would be good if Emacs shipped with an intermediate tutorial,
> covering topics beyond the basic tutorial. Reading the entire manual is
> great, but wouldn't it be nice if there was a short/medium-length
> overview of some of the cool features of Emacs? Kind of like
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/ but omitting the introductory
> material covered by the tutorial, and more up to date. (That page
> doesn't mention eshell, for example!)

I remember that almost five years ago I finally ended the year of
fruitless attempts to convert Emacs into an IDE like ones I used before
and realized that I need to learn text editing.  I had much work at the
moment and did not have time to read the manual in-depth and this
article [1] helped me to get into it.

I find the text & the format nearly ideal to what I expect from a short
"intermediate manual" - a bit of naming things and a bit of explaining.

Other manuals from the same author were not as useful as this one,
mainly because the topics are less wide than "editing and movement", but
still sometimes I find something new in his texts.

This leads to another (quite obvious) thought: more features should be
documented in the manual.  Even a quick mentioning will be enough to
give a pointer.

Filipp

[1] https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/effective-editing-movement