Re: burden of maintainance

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: burden of maintainance
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 15:00:18 +0800

On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Przemysław Wojnowski
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> "make check" is part of the GNU Coding Standards.  See:
>
> Maybe it should be changed to conform to the rest of the world, making
> it intuitive at the same time.
>
> IMHO the name should reveal its intent and "check" doesn't tell what is
> it checking (maybe whether environment is ready for compilation?).

I think (but I'm not sure) most users who can compile software with
`configure' followed by `make' know that `configure' scans the build
environment and tests whether environment is ready for compilation.

> "make test" is understandable and intuitive, especially to anyone who
> has any experience building software in other environments.

I agree that "make test" is intuitive.  I'll start a discussion on
address@hidden