Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 07:07:18 +0300

On 10/02/2015 05:27 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:

I mostly agree.  If we want to drop a feature, we should mark it
obsolete in version N and delete it in version N+1 or N+2.  Thus, if
we mark it obsolete in version 25, we could delete it in version 26.
We must never feel any hurry to do this.

I'd pretty much agree if we were talking about functions that might be used in third-party code. But you can't mark a key binding as obsolete.

And if we provide a replacement for vc-next-action in the form of vc-commit that simplifies usage and cuts on unused features such a "steal lock", is there a reason not to replace its binding in the same release where we introduce the new command?

We might keep vc-next-action defined for the time being, if only to allow users to revert the binding, in case some people actually use the "steal lock" functionality.