Re: Stupid git!

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Stupid git!
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 12:37:41 +0200

> :-).  OK, but the immediate problem is that _I_ didn't modify
> file-notify-tests.el.  Somebody else did, and git put his changes into
> my working directory and `git add'ed it.  I don't have the log entry for
> this change.

Don't worry about it.  That log message is in the history of
origin/master, and "git log" will display it, and "git blame" will bind
the correct modified lines to the git commit.

The changes you see, are the changes that has been upstream since your
last pull.  Your "incoming changes", so to speak.

> So am I supposed to just commit this, with my own log entry?

Yes, since this is the commit of a merge, git will usually suggest a
message for you.  I usually go with that, and maybe add some comments on
the merges I've resolved.

> I don't really understand what "you are still merging" is supposed to
> mean.

It means that the merge operation in "git pull" needs a "git commit" to
complete.

> How do I get out of the "merging" state cleanly,

"git commit"

> without commiting somebody else's changes?

You won't be committing somebody else's changes... or rather: you won't
be commiting somebody else's changes in a way that will mess up the git
history (which is something that _may_ happen when rebase is involved)