Re: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 00:10:19 +0300

On 06/25/2015 11:48 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

Yes, I would like the markup to head that way.  But the Emacs source
docstrings have largely not needed to change, and there's no need to
change them right now.

That's sneaky wording. You obviously want them to change.

The majority of people opposing don't want the curly quotes in docstrings, nor do they want to have two standards at the same time (now and then effectively forever).

Of course, the question of whether to use curly quotes in the docstrings or render them later is orthogonal enough to the choice of using font-lock or substitute-command-keys, but I think I gave a few arguments in favor of the former.

But if we want to
use font-lock to alter how quotes are displayed, these heuristics won't
work well, as they'll fail to alter many quotes that they should alter.

Why do you think so? We can alter any quotes we want using font-lock too. No real need to alter them in pairs either, if we want to disregard Richard's advice, and we're fine with using escaping more often.