Re: Packaging css-mode for GNU ELPA

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Packaging css-mode for GNU ELPA
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 10:44:37 +0100

> I think it would be very convenient to be able to subscribe to an ELPA
> version of css-mode, which could be updated more frequently than Emacs
> releases.

I also like to have as many packages on GElpa as possible, but it's
important to note the cost of this is not zero. Given that other
developers can (and occasionally will) edit the package in one place
without knowing to update the other, it can quickly get messy.
This would be much cleaner, if someone did that Gelpa-Bootstraping
thing Stefan's been asking for.

> Is there a procedure for turning a built-in mode into an
> ELPA package, and at the same time keeping the built-in package? It
> looks like for instance ada-mode is in a similar situation.

To be a proper package, it needs to have proper package headers and
footers. In the case of css-mode, it's only missing a `Version'
header.
Once it's a proper package, it's only a matter of dropping it inside
the GElpa repo. The biggest issue, as I said, is keeping it updated.