Translation of single quotes in doc strings is now optional.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Translation of single quotes in doc strings is now optional.
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 21:25:38 +0000

Hello, Emacs.

I've just committed an enhancement to C-h f, C-h v, such that ` and '
are no longer translated mandatorily into their curly equivalents for
display.  There is a new customisable variable, `help-quote-translation'
(in the Help group) which takes one of the values nil (default),
'traditional, and 'prefer-unicode, which directs C-h f and C-h v which
direction, if any, to translate single quotes in.

Please regard this as a quick fix to ease problems that we've already
discussed extensively elsewhere.  Nevertheless, if curly quotes are
going to become permanent in Emacs, something of the like is going to be
needed on a permanent basis.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).