RE: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 09:03:12 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Nicolas Petton
>
> > This change in the source format is a bad idea...
> > We must not make any convention involving those characters
> > in source code.
>
> I agree, but then why do we have electric-quote-mode for?  When
> enabled, it will insert curly quotes in docstrings in place of `'.

We do *not* have `electric-quote-mode' (yet).  It was added to
development code after the last release, as part of an individual
crusade to turn `...' into ‘...’.

As S. Turnbull has carefully pointed out, this ‘...’ stuff is just
a test, to see how much you love it, and it should be reverted if
you do not love it (modulo a knowing nod from our dear leader, of
course).

As another example, starting next month all Emacs text will appear
mirrored (derorrim).  This is a test to see if you prefer such a
presentation - it is regarded by some as a convenient (and modern!)
brain-eye strengthening aid.

Again, this enhancement too can be reverted, given enough clamour
and a d-l nod.  As Mr Turnbull has also reminded us, changes to
Emacs development code have *no* momentum or inertia.

Just because a boatload of changes have radically transformed
the development version of Emacs over a period of months or
years, that means nothing.  All is easily reversible, provided
you gather enough petition signatures and present a notarized
and watermarked note from your mother.

Such code changes are simply tests, to see if you are paying
attention.  This approach is, like, waaaaaay more dynamic and
21st-century than discussing potential changes with arguments
pro & con and offering patches for people to try on their own.