Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 16:38:34 +0100

> Recently, there has been a move, primarily by Paul, to introduce
> non-working characters (specifically, LEFT/RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARKs,
> or (less shoutily) "curly quotes") into our sources and *Help* buffers,
> not just marginally, but routinely into all our doc strings and error
> strings.

Maybe I just haven't run into them, but I haven't seen curved quotes
inserted into the source of any docstrings. I keep writing them with `
and ', and they get displayed as curved quotes on the Help buffer
(which looks fine to me).

If it's happening, then I am against this. But, just to be clear, I am
very much in favor of *displaying* them as curved quotes on Help
buffers by default (which is what I thought we were doing now).

> What do people think?

I'm in favor of displaying quotes as curved by default. But I'm
against using them in the actual source (although they don't bother my
workflow).