Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 03:40:41 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> I believe it's the correct result, though. 'char' is the more specific
>> overload, so the compiler should choose it.
>
> ??? Are you saying that the one shown as completion without that
> additional line was incorrect?  If it was correct then, it is still
> correct after the addition, surely.

Not really. Adding a new function might make the code invalid (say, if
it has the same name and the types of arguments as an existing one), or
make it behave in a different way.

http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/overload_resolution

>> > How many Emacs completion packages that use clang did you try? There's
>> > only one that I could find
>>
>> You certainly haven't tried hard. I personally gave you links to several
>> in this very thread.
>
> Not for C++, AFAICT.

Those are the same packages that offer C completion. Thank the magical
LLVM sprinkles.

Although it seems I haven't mentioned any specific ones here, after all,
only all of them in general.

Here are the bigger ones:

https://github.com/Sarcasm/irony-mode
https://github.com/Golevka/emacs-clang-complete-async/

And there's also company-clang in
http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/company.html, which I'm personally insulted
you've ignored.

It's much simpler, but it also has its users. Unlike those above, it has
no persistent server, but it additionally offers Objective-C support.