Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Josh
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 09:08:23 -0800

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 8:28 AM, David Engster <address@hidden> wrote:
> One was already mentioned by Stephen Leake: refactoring. Actually,
> anything that requires semantic knowledge of the source code you are
> working on. You could ask for a listing of places dependent of word
> size, for instance, or highlight the places where certain idiom is used.

CEDET will most probably never be able to refactor C++ code, aside from
very simple cases. There are very few IDEs out there which even try to
do that; from my experience, none of them do it 100% reliably (just
bring some meta template programming into the game and see what
happens). IMHO, "Refactoring C++" should not be in the job description.

Though I haven't used it myself, presumably one of these IDEs is
Eclipse CDT[0].  According to this article[1], CDT includes a full
C/C++ parser that's under active development (item 4) as well as
extensive support for static analysis (item 5) and refactoring
(item 6).  Perhaps there are technical or licensing-related issues
(see also item 9 regarding LLVM and Clang) that would make it a bad
fit for integrating with Emacs in some way, but otherwise it might
be worth a look.  The wiki is here[2].

Josh