Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:14:31 -0500

    > The lookup and completion features that people want can be implemented
    > by making GCC answer questions sent to it, as Aspell does for M-$.
    > That change would be welcome.  I think it could be implemented using
    > GCC's existing plug-in mechanism, but it would be better to put
    > the code into GCC itself.

    Could it support a "daemon" mode?

Yes.  (Though I'm not sure how that differs, practically speaking,
from accepting commands on stdin and answering them on stdout.)

    I don't really see GCC itself doing that (at least, the last part).
    It would require quite a bit of work that might be better left to
    third-party developers.

I hope some of the people on this list will help implement it.
I will try to ask GCC developers to develop it too.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation