Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 17:10:29 +0000

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Phillip Lord wrote:
>
>> It might also be writing this up -- is there a description anywhere of
>> "how to submit a change to Emacs", and should it not be in the elisp
>> manual?
>
> etc/CONTRIBUTE
> Info node `(emacs)Contributing'

Ah, thanks. Was looking in the elisp manual instead, but it is good.

Once I had found etc/CONTRIBUTE, I read it. It is quite long though. And
it has statements like:

It is important to write your patch based on the latest version. If you
start from an older version, your patch may be outdated (so that
maintainers will have a hard time applying it), or changes in Emacs may
have made your patch unnecessary.

Every patch must have several pieces of information before we can
properly evaluate it. When you have all these pieces, bundle them up in
a mail message and send it to the developers.

Please use "Context Diff" format.

It does seem rather heavy-weight to me.

Phil