Emacs branches in git

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Emacs branches in git
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 20:50:17 -0800

I missed the transition discussion in January, but it doesn't look like
I missed the transition :-).

I didn't see any discussion about branching conventions in regards to
release strategy and branch namespaces. I apologize if I missed it.

For a release strategy, the one espoused in this page is popular:

I'd also recommend against a flat branch namespace in the upstream
repository. Here are some thoughts on dividing the branches, including
dev and master for completeness:

master: For tagged releases.

dev: How trunk is used now.

releases: Release branches, such as releases/emacs-24

features: Larger features, such as features/gnus or features/mh-e.

topics: Ephemeral feature or bugfix branches, such as topics/vc-git or
topics/16694.

bugs: Perhaps folks might prefer bugs/16694 instead.

The latter two namespaces would mostly only live in the developer's
repository, but it would be good to have a convention in case they are
pushed for sharing.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/