Re: Wherein I argue for the inclusion of libnettle in Emacs 24.5

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Wherein I argue for the inclusion of libnettle in Emacs 24.5
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 08:03:25 -0500

> He explained his objections earlier: against OpenPGP implementation,
> prefers FFI, needs use cases.

Good summary, indeed, thank you.

> In the past Emacs has rejected functionality because it was against the
> goals of the FSF and the GNU project, not because it was deemed
> amateurish.

We do try to keep the core maintainable, which implies trying to keep
"amateurish" code out of it.  It also implies not adding stuff to it just
so someone can play around with that new feature (tho it does happen,
since it's always difficult to predict precisely how features will be
used).

But indeed, Elisp allows "amateurish" code, and we're happy to make it
possible for amateurs to write their own code and get something useful
from it.  We all have to start somewhere.

        Stefan