Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 08:25:41 +0200

Hello.

24 jul 2012 kl. 01:26 skrev Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

>>> Does this issue have a bug number?  Any discussions on fixes that are
>>> relevant?  A simple way to illustrate the problem?
>> See 7761.
>
> This bug number does not seem to discuss much this event-loop problem.
> Is there some place where this problem is discussed?

It has a way to see the problem. Ian not aware of any event loop discussion, it
is something I saw when investigating that bug.

> I hope someone can try and tackle it, e.g. starting by comparing the
> approach used currently in the NS port compared to the X, Gtk, Windows
> or Mac ports, so as to devise a plan.

I have a plan to do more or less what Gdk does on OSX, use lower level (Core
Foundation) API:s. The NS-port has many special things (resizing, redrawing and
more) that depends on how things are done now, so it isn't just a replacement
of a few functions.

I haven't looked at the Mac port, but if it uses CF for the event loop, code
may be reused from there.

The basic concept is to have one thread for file descriptors and let the main
thread deal with Cocoa events.  The code today does something similar, but it
relies on polling each 0.1 second.

    Jan D.