Re: Windows build broken on trunk

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Windows build broken on trunk
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:23:44 +0100

On Wed 18 Jul 2012, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> IIUC it's font handling stuff, and (IMHO) it should be renamed from too
>> generic name to something which is closely related to symbol's real use.
>
> The symbol's real use is the Lisp symbol symbol.
>
> Andreas.

I think you are incorrect on this point. The manual has this in node
"Windows Fonts":

`script'
     Specifies a Unicode subrange the font should support.

     The following scripts are recognized on Windows: `latin', `greek',
     `coptic', `cyrillic', `armenian', `hebrew', `arabic', `syriac',
     `nko', `thaana', `devanagari', `bengali', `gurmukhi', `gujarati',
     `oriya', `tamil', `telugu', `kannada', `malayam', `sinhala',
     `thai', `lao', `tibetan', `myanmar', `georgian', `hangul',
     `ethiopic', `cherokee', `canadian-aboriginal', `ogham', `runic',
     `khmer', `mongolian', `symbol', `braille', `han',
     `ideographic-description', `cjk-misc', `kana', `bopomofo',
     `kanbun', `yi', `byzantine-musical-symbol', `musical-symbol', and
     `mathematical'.

>From src/w32font.c, line 79:

static Lisp_Object Qkhmer, Qmongolian, Qsymbol, Qbraille, Qhan;

This Qsymbol is used for the script property, and is distinct from the
Lisp symbol symbol used in the rest of emacs.

The name clash is unfortunate.

    AndyM