Re: insert-char as alias to ucs-insert

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: insert-char as alias to ucs-insert
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:16:20 +0800

René Kyllingstad <address@hidden> writes:

>     Happily, ucs-insert has the same arglist as insert-char. So we
>     could make insert-char interactive, with an interactive spec that
>     performs the ucs-insert character-reading magic. Then ucs-insert
>     could be made into an alias for insert-char.
>
>     Patch welcome.
>
> Patch attached.

Thanks, this looks almost completely straightforward.

One significant difference is that ucs-insert errors out if the argument
is larger than #x10FFFF, whereas insert-char does not---it tests for
CHARACTERP, which accepts up to #x3FFFFF.  That's because the code space
of utf-8-emacs is larger than Unicode.  Off the top of my head, making
it more permissive is OK, i.e. we should allow insert-char with
arguments of up to #x3FFFFF.  Anyone have a different opinion?