RE: FFI in Emacs

From: Burton Samograd
Subject: RE: FFI in Emacs
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:04:07 -0400

From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of Michael Albinus
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:43 AM
To: address@hidden

"John Wiegley" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Possibly, yes.  I haven't looked at the code, so I can't whether I'd
>> like it or not, and we'd want someone willing to maintain it.
>
> I took a look at Dave's code, and it's not so much an FFI patch as a
> "writing Emacs Lisp functions in C" patch.
>
> A real FFI patch would let me dlopen any C library and call functions
> within it, such as openssl or zlib.  Dave's patch is more like what Python
> allows:
> writing Emacs Lisp extensions in C that can be loaded as shared libraries.

> Maybe it's worth to look on what the Guile folks have done.

> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Foreign-Function-Interface.html#Foreign->
>  Function-Interface

I might also suggest looking CFFI which is a wrapper around the mess of
individual FFI APIs for the common lisp world.  I would think that it is a good
example of 'common denominator' for FFI features:

http://common-lisp.net/project/cffi/

--
Burton Samograd

This e-mail, including accompanying communications and attachments, is strictly
confidential and only for the intended recipient. Any retention, use or
disclosure not expressly authorised by Markit is prohibited. This email is
subject to all waivers and other terms at the following link:
http://www.markit.com/en/about/legal/email-disclaimer.page

Please visit http://www.markit.com/en/about/contact/contact-us.page? for
contact information on our offices worldwide.