gl_MANYWARN_ALL_GCC() leads to many spurious warnings

From: Samuel Bronson
Subject: gl_MANYWARN_ALL_GCC() leads to many spurious warnings
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 17:17:12 -0400

It seems that gl_MANYWARN_ALL_GCC is intended to enable (virtually) all warnings implemented by GCC, no matter how noisy or badly tested they are in whatever GCC version is in use.

The result is that, even after we explicitly disable dozens of them again, we still generally get a lot of spurious warnings when building with --enable-gcc-warnings. Furthermore, since that option also enables -Werror, Emacs generally does not build at all in this configuration (unless you monkey around with WERROR_CFLAGS).

Why not simply use "-W -Wall -Wextra" and perhaps a few others, plus a few overrides to turn off the warnings those enable that aren't useful with Emacs? That way, we'd only get warnings that had been reasonably well tested.