Re: Regular crashes with abort() in mark_maybe_pointer with trunk

From: Julien Danjou
Subject: Re: Regular crashes with abort() in mark_maybe_pointer with trunk
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 16:49:58 +0200

On Sun, Jul 01 2012, Dmitry Antipov wrote:

> Hm, this crash is not in mark_maybe_pointer (but your previous two crash
> reports was).  String compaction code is known to be quite stable.
>
> If full bootstrap with '-O0' and --enable-checking=all is painfully slow
> for you, try normal bootstrap and then just recompile with these options.
> Thus you can avoid rebuilding .elc with the very slow Emacs instance.

I tried with --enable-checking=all, but 12 hours later on my dual core
box it did not finished compiling all the .el. Not sure what this flag
does, but it's long. :)

Unfortunately, it seems that -O0 makes the bug go away. :-( By default
the Debian package specified -O2.

> Please describe your environment.  Are you sure that your compiler is not
> buggy?

I'm running Debian unstable with gcc 4.7.1.

> Final note: make sure that your hardware is not broken.  Random crashes
> is a well-known symptom of bad RAM.

Nop, it's happening to other people running my package also. :(

--
           Julien