Re: adding a standard font-lock-number-face

From: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina
Subject: Re: adding a standard font-lock-number-face
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:14:23 -0300

2011/6/17 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:
>> An argument I can think of for inclusion is that it seems highlighting
>> those kind of stuff (event operators) is really common on other
>> editors, so it is acceptable that people coming from other places
>> would expect this kind of stuff highlighted out-of-the-box.  I know the
>
> I haven't seen many complaints about it either in emacs-devel or
> gnu-emacs-help, so I don't think it makes much difference.  People do
> not expect one editor to behave exactly like another.

Think of it of as a feature request, not a problem. I think it might
be good to have some way to define those kind of *extra* fancy stuff
and standardize them (even if not enabled by default). In my opinion,
that will likely help also to improve things avoiding the creation of
new non standard faces in external packages.

Even when I'm writing that, I feel we could also define a set standard
faces for package developers to use in their special modes. I guess
this can be the start of more complete font-locking framework that
could lead to help Emacs to be simple to theme, avoiding the need to
define a hundred faces to make themes work OK with your custom
packages.

Regards,
--
Fabián E. Gallina