Re: Modify menu-bar help

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Modify menu-bar help
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:58:52 +1100

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Ben Key <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

If we do document this issue somewhere we should note that GTK is not the only environment in which this is an issue.  I tried using the code provided by Tim Cross on the Nextstep build of Emacs 24 and had the same problem.

Just to clarify my thoughts re: reporting this as a 'bug' for the emacs manual. Iff the reason this won't work is due to a deliberate design decision in the toolkit, then I think this limitation should be mentioned in the manual - even if its just a footnote indicating that under some GUI toolkits, you canot create top-level menu actions that are not sub-menus i.e. a button. From Jan's post, my impression was that this behavior is not a bug, but rather a feature of the GTK design i.e. deliberate.

However, I think this still needs more work for confirmation. I plan to build with the old lucid toolkit and see if it works. If it does, then it gives mroe evidence that this is the case. I will also try and find confirmation in the GTK+ manual.

I'm a bit surprised that the same problem seems to occur under the NextStep OS - while I'm not expert here and could have things confused, it looked to me like the ns version added menu 'buttons' when I scanned the menu-bar.el file.

I will try to confirm things further and substantiate that this is a GTK+ limitation (not questioning Jan's post, just feel we should verify carefully) and if appropriate, will log a bug report suggesting the manual is updated to reference toolkit limitations.

Any objections or suggestions?

Tim