elpa.gnu.org packages in an Emacs checkout (was: debbugs.el)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: elpa.gnu.org packages in an Emacs checkout (was: debbugs.el)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:57:58 -0600

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:47:39 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> This is why I suggested the elpa.gnu.org files should simply be in a
>> subdirectory of the Emacs trunk but the maintainers preferred they be
>> separate.  Maybe now, after a few months of offering elpa.gnu.org, it
>> can be reevaluated.

SM> There is no question that the ELPA archive should be in a different Bzr
SM> branch than Emacs.  But we should encourage (e.g. by making it very
SM> easy) having both checkouts.

Is there a way to set it up so a) checking out Emacs from Bazaar gives
the elpa.gnu.org (GNU ELPA) code branch as well, and b) changes made in
such a checkout propagate back to the GNU ELPA branch?  That seems like
a lot of magic but Bazaar seems to excel in magic :)

If so, the difference is server-side and won't matter to the
developers.  But otherwise we should revise the instructions for
checking out Emacs to make it clear the GNU ELPA code is part of Emacs
and should be checked out alongside.

Ted