Re: Input method or help feature needed

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Input method or help feature needed
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:47:57 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> > Attached is a sample implementation of `list-script-chars'.
> > Display a list of characters belonging to SCRIPT.
> > The list is displayed in a buffer named "*Character List*".
> > In that buffer, the target characters are highlighted, and you
> > can copy each of them to kill ring by clicking them.

> Instead of introducing yet another command, how about extending
> list-charset-chars to include these features?  With the notable
> exception of Latin scripts, the display looks similar, if not
> identical, to list-charset-chars.

The reason why the output is similar except for latin is
that I have implemented a special handler only for latin.
As I wrote, some other scripts (han, hangul, various Indic,
etc) should have their own handlers.

> Btw, time to generate a buffer for large scripts, like han or hangul,
> is quite long,

Sure.  That's another reason to have special handlers for
them.  For han, for instance, instead of generating the full
list at once, just showing radicals at first, then,
expanding each radical on mouse clicking, may be efficient.

Creating buttons for each character naively is also slow.
It may be good if there's a way to create a help-echo on the
fly.

> as is the time for producing the list of script names
> if I type `?' at the "Script:" prompt.

Really?  When I tested it, it was almost instant.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden