Re: Input method or help feature needed

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Input method or help feature needed
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 16:01:11 -0500

    RS> Since Multi_key has no other meaning, why not unconditionally
    RS> support these sequences all the time?

    The input method build in to libX11 will, if Multi_key is associated
    with any of the physical keys, preempt Emacs; Emacs will only see the
    results of the compose sequences.

But that only happens under X.
It would be nice if the same key did the same job on a console.

    Simimarly, at the linux kernel console (at least), the Compose key
    sequences are all handled by the kernel code; Emacs never sees the
    Compose key itself.

I did not know there was a Compose key.  Can you email me the documentation?

I hope that the sequences following Compose and Multi_key are the
same, because any difference between them would be a painful added
complexity for the system as a whole.  Also, is Compose the same
key as Multi_key?

How can I find the Compose key on my keyboard?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation