Re: A new major-mode for Python

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A new major-mode for Python
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:52:41 -0500

> I have come up with a *new* major-mode[1] for Python

Help!!!

More seriously.  Rather than a new python mode I'm interested in
a maintainer for our python mode (i.e. someone who will fix bugs in it,
add new features, and will accept to work with us when we want to make
changes that he does not like, typically to make it behave in a more
standard way).

So rather than replace our python.el with yours, I offer you to take
over maintainership of our python.el.  This may sound like a crappy
offer (why would you maintain some old code you don't like when you
already have your own that works better, right?), but note that, as
a maintainer of our python.el, you'll have the opportunity to replace
pretty much any of "our" code with yours, thus morphing our python.el
into yours.

Another way to look at it, is that I'm asking you to take a "diff
old-python.el new-python.el" and cut it into manageable and meaningful
patches, so it is easier to see that it is moving forward.

Or maybe, what I'm asking really is to merge our python.el with yours.

        Stefan