Re: imap.el and nnimap.el [was Re: Build failure bzr trunk revno 103260]

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: imap.el and nnimap.el [was Re: Build failure bzr trunk revno 103260]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:58:24 -0500

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> However, if the new basic IMAP library is called imap.el, then this
> would still break third-party applications.
>
> Thoughts?

I don't know how many third-party applications make use of nnimap, but
if they do it would not be very clean, since nnimap requires Gnus.
Merging general purpose libraries from gnus/ back into net/ is good, and
I support the move.  Also, now (i.e. for Emacs 24.1) is as good a time
as any for this kind of change.