Re: Shell commands in deleted directories

From: Antoine Levitt
Subject: Re: Shell commands in deleted directories
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 23:05:56 +0100

13/02/11 22:34, Ted Zlatanov
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 22:21:38 +0100 Antoine Levitt <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> This looks like a bad idea.  Suppose I run the shell
>>> command "rm *" in a deleted directory?
>>> The change would cause me to remove files in
>>> my home directory.  Better safe than sorry.
>
> AL> Mmh, true. But then again, if you're using "rm *" as a shell command
> AL> without being absolutely sure where you are, you're just asking for
> AL> trouble.
>
> I am strongly against this kind of surprise and hope it doesn't go into
> Emacs.

I wasn't suggesting it be merged after the objection Paul raised (see
the other half of my post). In the end, it's probably better to be
handled by the user or by error-catching from calling code. Maybe there
should be some kind of checks when creating new buffers though? Like if
a new buffer is created that isn't associated with a file, then if its
pwd doesn't exist, it's reset to ~/?