Re: bug in copy-directory

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: bug in copy-directory
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:41:26 -0500

Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:

>> Go ahead and send the patch anytime it's ready.
>
> Find it attached.

Thanks, I've applied it to the trunk.  A few comments:

1. I didn't apply the change to dired-aux.el.  It doesn't seem to do the
right thing.  With that change patch, if I try to use the `C' command in
Dired, I get an error.

   mkdir ~/a
   emacs ~/
   [move point to a]
   ~/b RET  => error.

Could you check this part again?  What's its purpose?

2. You have non-standard indentation settings which make your patches
bigger than they should be, harder to read, and requires re-editing of
the results before they can be committed.  Stuff like this should not be
happening:

-      ;; Compute target name.
-      (setq directory (directory-file-name (expand-file-name directory))
-           newname   (directory-file-name (expand-file-name newname)))
+        ;; Compute target name.
+        (setq directory (directory-file-name (expand-file-name directory))
+              newname   (directory-file-name (expand-file-name newname)))

3. Don't include frivolous whitespace changes in patches, they are
irrelevant and make it harder to follow.

 ;; The basic function for half a dozen variations on cp/mv/ln/ln -s.
+
 (defun dired-create-files (file-creator operation fn-list name-constructor
                                        &optional marker-char)