Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 17:21:45 -0500

> I wrote an evil sed script to generate globals.h from the .c files.
> I used sed and not anything nicer since that is what the GNU coding
> standards specify.

Using sed means that it can't be used for the Windows build, i.e. it
would then have to be handled like `configure' and a few other generated
files which are kept in Bzr.

It's not the end of the world, but it's not ideal.  This said, since
globals.h is already under Bzr, it's no worse than what we already have,
so feel free to install a patch that adds a Makefile entry to regenerate
globals.h and install the corresponding newly generated globals.h.

> Maybe Andreas' idea of reusing the doc extractor would be better.
> I have not looked at that.

It might be a better solution, indeed, which should work for Windows and
MS-DOS as well.

Note that this auto-generation of globals.h might trigger some related
neurons and bring up related desires.  E.g. auto-generate the `defsubr'
calls and all the intern_c_string+staticpro for Q<foo> vars ;-)

        Stefan