Re: Is there something like `on-display-functions'?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Is there something like `on-display-functions'?
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:17:51 +0000

Hi, Stefan,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 02:37:52PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > As a zero order approximation, something like
> > `before-display-functions', where an element would look like this:

> >    (defun foo-before-display (buffer beg end) .....)

> > , BEG and END defining the piece of BUFFER about to be displayed.  The
> > hook would be called before fontification.  (Is it possible in general
> > to determine BEG and END before fontification?).

> That's exactly what jit-lock-register offers.

jit-lock-register's function only gets called when font lock is enabled,
or at least that's what the fine manual says and the doc string implies.
Yes, I know, I said "before fontification" too, when I really meant
"before redisplay".  This is confusing stuff.  ;-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).