Re: No commit in vc?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: No commit in vc?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:52:44 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:49:19 +0100
>>
>> cd trunk
>> bzr merge ../other-branch
>> <in VC-dir, mark the modified files>
>> <commit from VC-dir>
>>
>> As mentioned on my response to Jason, it seems that bzr does not admit a
>> `commit' comand with a list of files when there is a pending merge.
>
> Óscar, could you please ask on the Bazaar list if this is true, and
> what can be done to work around that, so that VC could DTRT?

>From `bzr help commit' :

Selective commits:
  If selected files are specified, only changes to those files are
  committed.  If a directory is specified then the directory and
  everything within it is committed.

  A selective commit after a merge is not yet supported.
<<<<<<<<<

So it is documented. Maybe VC could detect if there are pending merges
parsing the output of `bzr st', or parse the error message returned by
`bzr commit somefile' and detect that the failure was due to a pending
merge, hoping it is not translated to the local language etc. In any
case, it would require an ugly Bazaar-specific hack.

What bzr shouldn't do is to output a backtrace. I'll file a bug report
for that.

[snip]