Re: rebasing

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: rebasing
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:33:45 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

In addition to what Stefan and Karl say...

> I ask because for the common small random commits case, it seems _much_
> better to just commit to the trunk locally and rebase these local
> commits on pulling from the main repository; the "keep N branches and
> merge back and forth, even for trivial commits" recipe that is
> apparently advocated for emacs seems like a huge annoyance.

I'm having trouble figuring out which kind of workflow would benefit
from this. Unless you work disconnected, or for some other reason wish
to send upstream your quick fixes on batches, how would you benefit from
`rebase'? If you work connected, just do your quick fixes on a branch
bound to upstream, then you essentially do the same sequence of
operations you used with CVS: update & commit, and everything with
VC-dir.

[Also, please note that the Rebase plugin for bzr does not support
git's --interactive]