Re: merge conlict?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: merge conlict?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:53:25 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:50:18 -0500
>
>     > "Merged trunk into a branch" implies that the branch has changed and
>     > the trunk has not.  If so, why do we get a notification about it?  The
>     > notifications are supposed to be for changes in the trunk, not for
>     > changes in branches, right?
>
>     Because the history DAG of the repository changed.  In Bazaar, history
>     changes are also changes, not just text changes in the versioned
>     files.
>
> Do we want to get these notifications?
> If not, we could change the program not to send them.

Well, at least in this case, it helped to catch wrong practices and
warn people not to do that in the future.

> Do we want these notifications to contain different information?

Maybe.  If the server can detect such commits, it could send only the
list of the modified files and the changes in revision numbers (as in
"99377 changed to 99222.1.3").  The actual diffs are not interesting
in this case, I think.