Re: Next pretest

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Next pretest
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:34:58 +0000

alin.s wrote:

Tabs are also ready. For the console it's completely finished; for GTK I
have to make the latests modifications. For Lesstif and Athena I just found
some notebook widgets, and have to learn how to use them.

Um. What sort of tabs? Last time I tuned in (some time ago), people had very different ideas about how tabs should work.

For my part, I presently have a half-formed notion they should be another dimension for emacs window splitting along with horizontal and vertical, and therefore an aspect of window configurations. Notably, I don't have any working code though.

Another option which I looked into at one stage was toplevel-only tabs that collected and switched between whole emacs frames. i.e. tabs "outside" frames. The gtk+ notebook container widget model was particular suitable for that approach IIRC, as it was sort of emulating a tabbed window manager internal to gtk+, and gave you drag-drop and rearrangement for "free", but I eventually thought the window splitting model was more emacsy and general.

The one thing I really don't like is the idea of tabs-as-list-of-buffers - simply doesn't scale well to even my typical open buffer count (10s rather than 100s.), and is a waste of what could be a more versatile ui feature for the likes of IDE-type modes.

Or maybe you meant buffer-embedded emacs tab/notebook widgets, an entirely different matter and independent of the other kind of
tabbing.